Purpose and Organization of the Board
The Sugarbeet Research and Education Board of Minnesota and North Dakota is organized for educational and scientific purposes to:
- Further develop the sugarbeet industry of North Dakota and Minnesota through coordinated research and educational programs.
- Provide a structure whereby sugarbeet interests can participate in and contribute to cooperative research and educational efforts.
- Identify needs for strengthening the sugarbeet industry and make recommendations for research and educational programs.
- Evaluate research and educational proposals funded by the Board.
- Serve as a forum for the sugarbeet industry in Minnesota and North Dakota.
The board funds research projects by public and private researchers. In general these projects focus on sugarbeet production, although the board may occasionally fund other projects of general interest to the sugarbeet industry.
The affairs of the Board are managed by Board of Directors comprised of sugarbeet growers and representatives from American Crystal Sugar Company, Minn-Dak Farmers’ Cooperative, Southern Minnesota Beet Sugar Cooperative, North Dakota State University Cooperative Extension Service and Agricultural Experiment Station, and University of Minnesota Agricultural Extension Service and Agricultural Experiment Station.
The Board is funded by an assessment of each acre of sugarbeet planted. This is a grower driven organization that administers research and education programs to benefit sugarbeet growers.